Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm So Spoiled!

My husband and I live in a very rural area. We live in a one store/post office town and that's it. We used to have a doctor's office here but ole Dr. Long retired long ago. Yesterday the power went off. Grrrr.

I don't know about you but I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to the luxuries of today. Whether to call them luxuries or necessities, I don't know. I do not think electricity and the telephone is a luxury. Maybe TV and the internet is, but in the United States I'm sure most people have these items.

Well, when the power went off yesterday it was only off about an hour and half. My husband was at work and here I am at home calling all my family members to chat and catch up, you know, so I won't go nuts. Is that odd or just down right pathetic? A grown woman ought to be able to entertain herself, do chores or something to occupy her time while the "all powerful" electricity is off. Why was the electricity off? Oh-- copper thieves! Yep, people (most likely druggies) will actually risk their lives for a few pounds of copper. The power company told me today that they only get a couple dollars a pound for it, but that doesn't stop them from going to a substation and risking their lives to get a little bit.

WELL, today the power goes OFF AGAIN! Yep some nut goes and steals copper at the SAME DARN substation! When this happens almost a 1000 homes are without power. Do they care? No. After about an hour the power came back on for 10 seconds and then went off again. This time my phone goes dead. NO PHONE! I CAN'T EVEN CALL TO COMPLAIN! GOOD LORD! I know, I'm such a whiner. But I hate when the power goes off! AND--- this is the THIRD TIME in two weeks this has happened. UGH!

My husband and I live up a "holler" (hollow to city slickers!). And when the sun goes down and it's dark you can not see your hand in front of your face. It's as dark as a coal mine. I'm serious. You can not see anything and that freaks me out. I do not like it. Today of course, I already had the candles out from yesterday. Gotta watch the kitty, though, he doesn't know fire will hurt him.

Anywho, hubby and I go down the road to a Wendy's to get a burger and we discover everyone has electricity but our little "holler". I know it was out early in other places but it seems our area is the only area that hasn't been fixed YET! I'm not happy. haha!

So we come home and I know hubby is dead tired and wants to go to bed. He gets up at 4am to get ready for work and I know he's tired. He tells me, I'll keep you company, I just won't work tomorrow. I say, honey, I'm a grown woman, I'll be alright. He gets the radio and puts batteries in it for me and I gather the candles around with a deck of cards. He goes to bed, and it's just me and the cat and a deck of cards.

You know I'm usually fine when this happens because I yak on the phone to keep me amused. I hate when I do not have TV OR the internet, but if I have a phone, I'm just fine. Tonight no phone! SHRIEK! haha. Where we live we can't even get cell phone service either, so no help there.

So, I am sitting there playing solitaire by candle light, getting cold, and listening to a country station when lo and behold my electricity comes back on. Hallelujah! All the lights come on, my refrigerator starts to hum, my phones all beep (yeah, phones are alive once again), I hear the heat pump kick on. Woot Woot Woot. I "ain't" alone in the dark anymore! I have the internet, I have the TV, and I have the telephone.

See, I knew I would be okay. I won't have to go wake my baby up, after all.

Oh, I'm So Spoiled!

Until next time, Be Blessed.

2 comments:

camiropa said...

We lose our electricity here in the country more often than I'd like too;
I am always amazed at how much my life comes to a screeching halt without electricity. Pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

I love the silence and could do fine without tv or even lights, but the refrigerator! the microwave! water heater! (its electric), the GARAGE DOOR OPENER!

Hope it doesn't happen again soon! What do the druggies do with copper? I'm so clueless, I have no idea!

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Panama the electricity would go out a lot in the dry season. Sometimes they warned us of outages, but more often, not. Because we lived on the jungle line (where theives would make trails onto base and break into homes) it was very dark for us, too, but never as bad as yours sounds! It's been 20 years since we lived there but one lesson that stuck with me is to keep candles, matches, and holders were I can find them easily. I have a whole drawer of that stuff now ~ just call me paranoid! :)