Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Barack Obama's Speech

Other than the "I Have A Dream" speech given by Dr. Martin Luther King, Barack Obama has given the best speech on race relations I have ever heard. It was exciting, moving and in my opinion truthful.

Of course this speech sprang from the uproar Barack Obama's pastor has caused by his hate mongering of America from behind the pulpit and the consequences to Obama's presidential bid.

Right before the speech I was talking to my son about this mess Obama finds himself in because of the hate speech of his pastor, his friend, and his confidant. I told my son that I hated to see Mr. Obama lose the Democratic nomination race because of something he didn't say and my son agreed because he is a strong Obama supporter. I talked about my feelings about race relations and prejudice and I told him that as a white woman I had never oppressed anyone, that I felt blacks have had just as much opportunity as I have had and so forth. But I also said that unfortunately there was prejudice in my own family regarding blacks and people of color, and it's shameful. Of course he agreed, because that is how most families are, both black and white. I was hoping Mr. Obama would explain his relationship with his pastor and why white America should still vote for him.

The speech totally blew me away, because many of the things I said to my son were addressed by Mr. Obama. Obama said he could no more disown his pastor than he could disown the Black race out of his life, that these people are a part of him. I feel the same way about my own family, they are a part of me and although I DO NOT agree with them I could never block them out of my life. Mr. Obama talked about how middle class whites feel like nothing was ever given to them, that they worked hard to get everything they had and that is definitely how I feel. My entire family has worked like dogs to get what little they have. And it is DARN little!

I agree this country has faults and I agree that the hardships blacks have had to endure have been terrible. But I also think that so much has been accomplished along the lines of race relations. Things AREN'T like they were 30 or 40 years ago. No, things aren't perfect, not by a long shot, but things are not like Rev. Wright regurgitates. Yes, we need to talk about it but Rev. Wright's hate speech directed toward America and it's white population only makes the rift between whites and blacks broader. And that's a shame. It does nothing to help and only hurts 50 years of progress.

So, did Barack Obama pull himself out of the fire? In my opinion, I think he did. Will all of this controversy go away? No, it will not- because that is the nature of 24 hour news channels. The news media will not stop talking about it- not until the "next big story" comes along. But what can WE, the real America, do about it? We can judge a man or woman on what they say and do and NOT on the color of their skin. Wouldn't Martin Luther King be proud if we did.

Until next time, Be blessed!

1 comment:

camiropa said...

Read my post on my blog and you'll see that you've been tagged! Read and you'll see what I mean!